Friday, October 3, 2008

Yoo-hoo Chocolate Drink

Yoo-hoo Chocolate Drink


Buck the cat refuses to be featured in this photograph.

I used to drink Yoo-hoo when I was a kid, for no good reason. Back then it used to give me wrenching stomach cramps and explosive gas. Nonetheless I would drink it whenever a can or bottle presented itself. I wouldn't go out of my way to find the stuff, but some days I might get a wild hare and buy a can. Or bottle. Whatever it came in. It was sort of like picking at a scab, a good kind of hurt.

Drinking it now, and I haven't had Yoo-hoo in at least a decade, a lot of memories flood back. Not really memories, but merely "remembering". Remembering, mostly, the luke warm feelings I had for the watery chocolate drink. Seriously, this stuff is like watery, cold, corn syrupy chocolate milk.

Bad chocolate milk, too. Some cheap brand your friends Mom made with water instead of milk. This is odd because the second ingredient in Yoo-hoo is "whey (from milk)". The first is water, the third is corn syrup. Yuck. Milky watery syrup. "Corn syrup solids" get a second listing further along, never heard of those but they sound FOUL.

It DOES taste more like chocolate than I remember, it even has a chocolatish after-taste. No painful cramps like in the good old days, but I'm also drinking it on a full stomach.

So, yeah, it's Yoo-hoo. It's kind of gross, much more so when you read the ingredients. If I hadn't foolishly done that, I'd probably finish the can.

...

So at the tail end of pouring the can out, the "dregs" spill out. Gloopy bits of separated chocolate. In all fairness, this stuff probably would've made the beverage taste better and thicken it up. But I DID shake the can, and without some sort of air bubble in there to agitate, the muddy bits stayed separated. Bah. All that potential flavor, down the sink.

2 comments :

  1. I keep on seeing this product all over and over again online. Although since I read your blog. I guess it's just those drinks that didn't make it in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand what you wrote. The words are all there and in a sensible order, but I can't figure out what you are trying to say. I'm wondering if this is some sort of clever spambot.

    ReplyDelete

 
Humor-Blogs.com